-
November 7th, 2005, 02:58 AM
#1
Inactive Member
where can I get plans to build an altec cabinet for 515's with a backloaded horn? I'm interested in copying this speaker
http://www.shindolabs.com/pages/5/
Does this look similar to any altec cabinets?
What would be the best cabinet to build, 828?
Thanks
john
-
November 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM
#2
Senior Hostboard Member
Hi johny,
The best cabinet for the 515 for home use is model 19.You can look up ebay they have cabinets from time to time.
--------------------------------------------------
-
November 8th, 2005, 04:16 AM
#3
Senior Hostboard Member
The model 19 used a 416. In mine they are 416-8Z's. The 515 is mainly a horn loaded driver.
-
November 8th, 2005, 04:30 AM
#4
Inactive Member
All the Altec cab designs I'm aware of are front-loaded, most with BR loading on the rear. I think 515s were designed for, and perform best with, front-loaded horn cabs with a limited-volume rear chamber, so I don't know what to expect if run in a DR/rear horn setup. Perhaps GM, or others with sim skills could assist. (GM, you feelin' better yet?)
-
November 12th, 2005, 04:32 AM
#5
Inactive Member
AFAIK the Latour uses either a field coil bass driver or the 515B in a (huge) bass reflex bin, not a rear loaded horn.
Look at the link below for a picture that gives a better idea about the size.
Volume should be around 8..10 cu ft which is similar to the Model 19. While the 515B bass will be not as deep as with a 416 it probably will be more controlled.
Regards
Claus K
Latour
-
November 12th, 2005, 04:51 AM
#6
Senior Hostboard Member
I tried my 515Bs in a number of different cabs from A7 to big BRs. I finally bought a pair of Edgarhorn Straight 80hz horns. Dr. Edgar designed this horn cabnet around the 515B. Another option is RCA-Fan's Half-Horn. You can see the construction details and pics on his gallery. If you want midbass punch, this is the way to go. Cheers.RCA - Fan's gallery
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks